Friday, May 19, 2017

...and just like that, my skin changed {Back story}


More like 1984.

"ME"

First act of violence: mommy pushed me{out}, lol.
I'm kidding, but I was born and the rest is history.
Fast forward to puberty, I had NO ACNE: a pimple here and there, but that's it.
Ate what I wanted to. Drank what I wanted to. Didn't know the first thing about a skincare routine and didn't care.
Out of the puberty stage, my face remained clear as a ever.
Living, loving, losing said love, eating, drinking, and moving from NYC to 2 different states, I parked it in Atlanta, GA. 

Not looking for it: love swan-dived in, scooped me up for 1YR & 4MTHS, then dropped me like a bad catch, a few days before Thanksgiving 2012.
Thinking he was the love of my life, I went into a state of emotional distress.
Over the course of a few month, I turned my distress into focus.
I began to work out, eat clean, drink water and kept myself busy.
I dropped 41.5LBS over the course of 2 years.
I hit my lowest adult weight of 184LBS, just in time for my girls trip to Vegas, 2014. 

Coming back from that trip, I went forward with my life as usual with one distinctive change: I was a year older.
I turned 30. I got COMFORTABLE. I gained a few pounds, plateaued and then maintained my weight at about 191LBS for the rest of 2014 and the majority of 2015.

Approximately mid-May, 2015. I noticed a breakout happening along my jawline and temples.
Thinking nothing of it, I chalked it up to my "not so clean" eating habits and some stressful events I faced.
July 2015, I took a last minute trip to South Beach, Miami, FL.
I had an amazing time. Being among all those beautifully tanned, sun-kissed people, I did not feel my most confident.
For the first time, since I was 19YRS old, I shied away from taking selfies.
Sadly to say, I have very few pics to show just how much fun I had.

On the day I left South Beach, en route to the airport I started looking up Dermatologists back in Atlanta, GA.
To my surprise there was a Dermatologist office, 10mins away and in the same building as my OBGYN.
Happy that they were so close, I looked at their list of doctors and saw Sonya Bellamy's name and was happily surprised that she was an African American specializing in skin care.
I took to social media to see if anyone had good things to say about her as well as the office she worked out of.
Didn't find much, but came across TheCurlyChemist who was a client of Dr. Bellamy's. (The post is no longer up or I just can't find it)
Looking at her skin alone, it gave me hope. I called Dunwoody Dermatology with hopes of getting in with Dr. Bellamy, ASAP.
Unfortunately , she was booked out until mid September.
I explained to the front desk receptionist that I needed immediate attention and after listening to my woes, she scheduled me with Dr. Wayne Emineth.
By the time I went in for my appointment my face decided to paint an entirely new picture.
It got to the point where I was at my desk at work, overnight, relieving the pain in my face with ice packs.
My face, Aug 25th 15'
My first dermatologist assesement {Aug 26th 2015} went quickly.
I thought my skin was gonna be examined under a magnifying glass.
I thought I was going to be poked and proded and treated with kid gloves.
NAH!! I sat down, Dr. Emineth walked in, saw the cysts, redness, the fine bumps surrounding the cysts and I think I was asked "does your my face hurt?"
It did and BADLY. Right in that very moment
DIAGNOSIS TIME:
~ Inflammatory acne with cysts and PIHP on chest, back and mainly my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment