Saturday, June 3, 2017

Outta here

So pretty much from the very first day the word Accutane penetrated my eardrums I took the Internets to see what other people have had to say about their experience.

Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Twitter and even Facebook kinda sent me over the deep end.
I was super nervous about this treatment and 2nd guessed my decision before even starting.

I critiqued the products I was already using at home and began throwing things away.
One day on Facebook, I came across an article from XONecole on Jacq's Organics and how the company came to be.
In the article one part stood out to me:

“I already shopped at farmer’s markets because I was a very conscious buyer, but the more I researched, [I realized] everything in my refrigerator was soy. I learned that it mimics estrogen and that was feeding my thyroid.” From hummus and chickpeas to chicken and white rice, Barbara learned – and spread the word – that her food choices were killing her... “And then I look, and I have this make-up artist display of products in my closet,” she continued. “I have bags of MAC make-up, Estee Lauder, Clinique…it was crazy. I just started throwing my stuff away, and that’s when, for me, when I felt that sense of calmness.”
Those products – the ones she placed in her hair and on her skin – were causing equal amounts of damage to her health. And just like over 70% of all beauty products catering to Black women, they included “the dirty dozen”. “The dirty dozen is basically a list of 12 common ingredients that you will find in, not just skin and hair products, but also in food that are a no-no,” Barbara explained. “They’re linked to cancer, birth defects, ovarian issues, stuff that has harmful side effects. But it’s ingredients, preservatives, and products that are basically in everyday [items] that we don’t even think about. Everything from toothpaste to clothes, canned goods, sugar, milk – everything.”

Once I finished the article, I took to my fridge and bathroom and was like

Why? Because cystic acne is commonly referred to as hormonal acne, I felt it was a smart move to look for products with SOY in it and not purchase them and or not use them if I already had them at home.
My trusty Aveeno products had soy in it... I didn't throw them away, I placed them under the bathroom sink.
Out of sight, out of mind, right?

The day after I picked up my Rx, I made a trip to the mall and killed two birds with one stone.
I got my eyes brows threaded happily as it's one of the few things I CAN do during my Accutane treatment.
I love my eyebrow threading lady and I had a chat with her about what I'd be putting my body thru.
She was very understanding and gave me a little advise.
She asked "Do you have an IUD?"
I said "YES, Mirena." She then said "that's your problem.
Mirena affects your hormonal levels."

Two different ways of being informed about hormones, just set me up on a better path to be mindful of the products I use on and in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment